Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wishing

My Grandma taught me to make a wish every time I saw a white horse.  and make a wish on the first evening star, and make a wish  and then blow the fluff off a dandelion.

I gained insight on the white horse method of wishing. White horses are often in advanced age. You better wish fast.
For a year or so, I greeted my own special wishing horse every day. He dwelled with some other horses, in a pasture, I passed driving to work. He was thin and swaybacked, probably ancient with the burden of many many wishes. He was white as snow.
One day, in the pasture of my wishing horse, there was a man in a back hoe, digging a hole. The white horse lay beside it. That beautiful white horse, full to capacity of life, and wishes, was being as  respectfully sent to Heaven as any horse can be.
As near t heaven as he was, none of those wishes I sent ever came true.

I dont make wishes anymore. I still nod at the first star, and I still blow the fluff off dandelions.....(The object is to get all the fluff off in one blow, otherwise it wont work. One can game the system by selecting a dandelion head which is depauperate ,a botanical term for , way more than ripe.)
I hav'nt had a wish for a couple of years, but I still do it, wishless, for Grandma, and because, nodding at white horses seems right.

Nowadays, I dont dare think of a wish, because I can't bear the disappointment of  it unfulfilled, and those old white horses have enough to do just keeping their legs under them.

This week, though, I made a wish.
Not a big one.
No. I'm not telling. It does'nt come true if you tell.





No comments:

Post a Comment