Thursday, August 30, 2012

BlockHead

Right place. Exactly the right time.

I just returned from a 4-day intensive  Japanese woodblock print-making workshop.
....and now everything looks just a tad different. A little bit of Kitagawa Utamaro's floating world informs my brand new retinas.

I like what my head does when I carve my block of  Linden wood.
When I ink the block and rub the paper, I am surprised to see the picture emerge from inside my head , through the wood , by way of the ink, into the material world.
This is fantastic!

The paper I'm using is made of mulberry fibers soaked for hours in a cool stream, by old women in a tiny village in Hokkaido.
When I moisten the paper to prepare it for the ink,  I can hear them gossiping.

I made  prints of a raven, an owl, a snake, and scarlet runner beans..

I'll see if I can scan them in to share here.



No comments:

Post a Comment